Mark's New Pinyin Input Firefox Extension

My friend Mark has created a FireFox addon. It does one thing and it does it well: it converts onscreen text from numeral pinyin to pretty pinyin with tone marks.  (It doesn’t convert characters to pinyin or any of that jazz.)

I find this very useful. If it sounds good to you, try out the Pinyin Input Firefox Extension.

8 Comments to “Mark's New Pinyin Input Firefox Extension

1. Xuchen says:

I’ve tried installing it twice and both times I couldn’t get it to work.

Please advise.

2. Jack Tors says:

For Windows users, I’d just stick with pinyinput. Works with all apps, not only Firefox. I guess this would be useful for Mac or Linux users if those OSes don’t have a pinyinput equivalent.

3. Mark says:

Xuchen, if you leave a bit more detailed response on the comments for it on my site, I’ll try to help you out.

Did the blue “pin” button appear in your status bar at all? If not, is it possible that you’re running a beta version of FF 3.1?

If the “pin” is there, make sure the text you’re highlighting is a plain text field.

4. Mark says:

Jack, I didn’t intend for this to replace the pinyinput IME. I realize it has advantages for some users. I wrote it partially for my own use, and I was getting frustrated switching back and forth between IMEs when writing pinyin. I suppose it all depends on how you want to use it.

5. Xuchen says:

Hey Mark,

When I installed it I got the little blue Pin in the bottom corner. My Firefox is up to date as far as I can tell.

I was testing it in the Chinesepod comments section as well as here, both with no results. Which step am I missing?

Thanks in advance

6. Xuchen says:

xiàn zài wǒ néng yòng

7. Joel says:

I’ve been waiting for something like this for a long time. hěn róngyì!

8. Chinamatt says:

I’ve got the little blue box in the corner but it doesn’t do anything. Which version of Firefox does it need? I’m on 3.0.