What have I been doing for the past 2 weeks (besides trying to get my site back online)? It seems like a lot of nothing, but the list goes something like this:
- Plowing through my Chinese intro to linguistics text. (Surprisingly, I’m learning a lot of really useful non-linguistics-specific vocabulary.)
- Reading short stories by H. P. Lovecraft. (And, frequently being disappointed by the endings.)
- Killing time going through the archives of Nuklear Power. (OK, I know it’s lame; I can’t explain it! But FF1 was my favorite game of all time, so that must be part of it.)
- Expanding my music collection. (Huddle Formation by The Go! Team is awesome happy music.)
- Visiting the hospital again. (More on that adventure later.)
- Deciding not to go to India for my October vacation because the plane tickets are just not cheap. (Still not sure what I’ll do.)
Yes, I’ve dicovered that when my internet usage goes down I end up reading more and getting more sleep. Good thing I solved my hosting problem. No telling what I might be capable of if I were well-rested, well-read, and well-thought out all the time!
I recently purchased a server in Beijing and was asked – oddly – if I wanted the service to be fast in Southern or Nothern China. I asked what the hell they meant and was told that China Telecom was upgrading the North-South trunkline. Traffic between the regions is apparently severely affected. The company I was dealing with had data-centers glomming onto both CT’s northern and southern networks.
Oh, and music: Russian Futurists are also awesome happy music, Polvo is just plain ol’ awesome rock, and The Arcade Fire is just plain awesome.
Thinking is good!